As a dad, husband, son-in-law, comic book fanboy, etc., I spend a great deal of time on the road – in a mini-van, ‘natch – and I usually love driving around my fair city.
Except when there’s nothing on the radio.
Before you say, “Get a satellite radio, Hook!”, let me tell you, at the end of the month there is barely enough for comics and Coca-Cola, let alone luxuries/necessities like satellite radio! I manage to scrounge together enough to keep my daughter in graphic t-shirts and Monster High purses, but at the end of the day, I’m poor, dammit!
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Getting back to my plain, old-fashioned radio, I’ve lost track of the number of trips that went something like this…
- Get in the van and start off on the open road.
- Turn the radio on.
- Hit a button and discover some crappy rap song about bitches and hos. I’m not gangsta enough for songs about bitches and hos, thankfully.
- Hit another button and face an audio assault from that punk kid with the lesbian haircut! You know who I’m talking about!
- Hit another button and find a great song – that’s ending!
- Hit another button.
- And another.
- Discover “I Touch Myself” by The Divinyls and wrestle with the moral implications of not hitting the button!
- Hit another button – again!
- And another.
- JACKPOT! A great song. Just in time too, because…
- I arrive at my destination – and scream at my radio!
- Sirius Trouble: Is Satellite Radio Headed for a Fall? (dailyfinance.com)